the history of our name resides in the south of italy. however, the inspiration for the wine comes from the north. the massican wines are a blend of grape varieties with the hope of promising a new, unique approach of what white wine could be – modern, spirited, different – taking the best of what california vineyards have to offer and approaching the winemaking with intellectual verve and passion.
we harvested six grape varieties in and around napa valley and sonoma county in 2017 – three north east italian white varieties (tocai friulano, ribolla gialla and pinot grigio), coupled with a southern italian variety (greco) and two western varieties (chardonnay and sauvignon blanc). we made four wines channeling the style and the blends made famous by such wineries as borgo del tiglio, kante, meroi, miani, ronco del gnemiz, venica and vie di romans, to name a few.
the core white wines…
- annia: a blend of ribolla gialla, tocai friulano and chardonnay
- gemina: a blend of pinot grigio and greco
- hyde: one-hundred percent chardonnay
- sauvignon: one-hundred percent sauvignon blanc
a vintage retrospective tasting…
- click here: to read about the vintages, the growing seasons and how all the massican white wines produced from 2009 to 2016 are drinking
massican’s special projects…
- gaspare: an italian grown and produced white wine
- il vermouth di friulano: a dry white and a sweet red vermouth
- birra bianca: a belgian witbier made in charleston, sc